Other NVMe Autonomous Power State Transition (APST)

So I'm playing around with APST (I had a slow day thankfully). I noticed when I'm using Debian, the power states will shift around depending on what the drive (1TB EX900 Plus M.2) needs to perform. The NVMe has 5 power states (0-4) and in Debian it will typically remain in power state 4 (0.0090W). It appears that APST is well supported in Debian.

Now for FreeBSD 13.0, It appears that APST is not functional here, at least by default. The NVMe starts off in power state 0 (3.000W) and remains there all the time.

I am able to use the command 'nvmecontrol power -p 4 nvme0' to force the NVMe into power state 4, and it will remain there until the drive is asked to do some real work and then it is back to power state 0 and will remain, it will not drop to a lower power state automatically.

In searching the internet for half a day I have been unable to find any real mention of APST with FreeBSD. The few things I could find were very elusive and talked about the AHCI driver could be the issue, but that was more of a discussion about AHCI but it did mention APST.

Here comes the question and I'm sorry I'm even asking it but I've exhausted my brain and the internet searching:
Is there any way to get FreeBSD 13.0 to make the NVMe APST work properly and automatically change the Power State?

Thanks for any advice.

Same problem here, got a WD SN570 and its acting like a mini heater in the case.

Idling at almost 70C. I discovered it can be manually changed to state 2, but state 2 still has high idle power, I think it just throttles power under load.

My drive wont change to 4 at all, if I run the command, and then check its state right after its back to 0.

The problem is, as soon as you run the command to place your NVMe into a lower power state, it was probably asked to do something which brings it back up. I have a script called Multi-Report for TrueNAS (could be used for other than TrueNAS) that has an option to set to a lower power level and sometimes it works fine, sometimes the power level jumps back up.

Back