Monitoring disks (including SAS), ZFS, temperature out of the box

I'm slowly constructing a NAS server based on FreeBSD 14, it should surely be ideal for this. However as part of this I want to monitor the hardware (and also various subsystems) and this seems - less ideal.

Is there anything that out of the box supports :

ZFS health - i.e. degraded arrays
ZFS size monitoring
motherboard temperature monitoring
SAS disk monitoring - temperature and health
SAS tape drive temperature monitoring

That includes graphing or at least logging, as alerting without a measurement history is useless. As part of a monitoring system, rather than twenty separate utilities.

I've got Nagios up and running. Yes, I understand this is open source & someone has to write the plugins, but it's (not too surprisingly) Linux oriented in terms of features, and plugin quality is lacking to put it politely.

As it stands it looks like I'll have to write code to get it to do what I want, and I'd rather avoid that if someone has already done the work.

Surely someone must have done this before? I'll happily consider reasonably priced paid options (i.e. not $2400 for Nagios XI Enterprise, this is for a home system).

Please no examples of 'it says it does this', I want to know of things that Actually Work.

Is there anything that out of the box supports :
I don't know of anything that fits the bill. I have my own hacks, which only do perhaps a third what you want, and aren't portable.

Add to your list of requirements: backup (probably based on ZFS snapshots). It's actually more important than anything else: the best RAID system with the disks at nicely stabilized and monitored temperature doesn't help if the user does "rm -R *".

If someone finds something, please mention it here. Even partial solutions would be welcome.

Back