I need help in getting higher resolution to work on Xorg and KDE.

I've just installed FreeBSD 13.3 on a new PC and I'm connecting it via DisplayPort to a widescreen monitor. I follwed the instructions to install X11 and KDE. KDE is indeed running. However, there is only a single resolution and everything appears very big.

My motherboard supports up to 8K (7680x4320) as stated in the specifications. (I didn't buy any extra graphics card.)

I've also tried this article but it didn't work.

So, how can I get my FreeBSD machine to use higher resolution?

Thanks!

that sounds like the issue

install the libva-intel-driver libva-utils drm-515-kmod packages

Code:
sudo pkg install libva-intel-driver libva-utils drm-515-kmod

add the i915kms to your rc.conf with sysrc

Code:
sudo sysrc kld_list+="i915kms"

or manually edit the /etc/rc.conf

Code:
sudo vi /etc/rc.conf

and add i915kmsto the kld_list

Code:
kld_list="i915kms"

then reboot

i have a old macbook air 2011 and found that i needed to boot up with the display port attracted
for the monitor to be picked up

my bad your right, i was just looking at the name in the kld_list

ill update the post

on my macbook air and dell xps i install

libva-intel-driver libva-utils drm-515-kmod

I tried it. Yeah, there's no such package. So, I did further research and installed "drm-kmod". After which I did a "kldstat" and "i915kms.ko" indeed shows up. However, there's still only 1 resolution. It does not resolve my problem. Can someone please advise me / help? Thanks!

thats odd when i search for the package it shows up
im on Freebsd 14 p.6

Code:
pkg search libva-intel-driver
libva-intel-driver-2.4.1_2     VAAPI legacy driver for Intel GMA 4500 (Gen4) to UHD 630 (Gen9.5)

the libva-intel-driver is for vaapi video so may not make a difference
just thought id mention the intel packages i have installed

on my old macbook air 2011 i have these packages installed

Code:
sudo pkg install xorg xinit xf86-input-keyboard xf86-input-mouse xf86-input-synaptics \
libva-intel-driver drm-stable-kmod libva-utils

if you google the error you having you get a few results

dont know if these help

and even a few results on the forum

A properly working video driver will use the native resolution of the display automatically, so instead of fiddling with xrandr, take a step back and check whether you really followed the handbook. If so, check kernel output (dmesg) and the X server logs to see whether the driver actually loads and detects your GPU. Maybe it's not supported in FreeBSD 13 and you need to upgrade to 14.

libva is also a red herring here. This one is needed for hardware video de-/encoding, so you probably want it indeed, but it's not relevant for the problem at hand here.

What CPU does the system have? As far as I know 12th gen and higher iGPUs aren't supported by the 5.10 version. I'm assuming you're using the onboard video, not a separate videocard.

You might need 5.15 but that requires FreeBSD 14.0. It's also possible you may need 6.1, which, at this time is only available for a recent 14-STABLE or 15-CURRENT. It will be available for the upcoming 14.1-RELEASE though.

Doesn't work properly. After trying and reading what SirDice just wrote, I've decided to live with it for 2 months+ and then re-install with 14.1. :)

Back