Solved Budgie Transparency

I am trying out x11/budgie desktop environment. Looks nice, and I've been able to setup the main panel at the top, and a dock at the bottom. I would like the background area of the bottom dock to be transparent instead of a solid grey block, but when I turn on transparency in the settings, nothing happens. Is there something extra I need to setup and configure to get transparency here?

Two issues I could think of, first is opacity. If the opacity is set to 0% then it's not transparent, 100% is full transparency. Never used budgie but you might need to set the opacity to a reasonable value. Second issue might be that you're not using an accelerated driver (vesa(4) or scfb(4) are not 2D/3D accelerated drivers for example).

Two issues I could think of, first is opacity. If the opacity is set to 0% then it's not transparent, 100% is full transparency. Never used budgie but you might need to set the opacity to a reasonable value. Second issue might be that you're not using an accelerated driver (vesa(4) or scfb(4) are not 2D/3D accelerated drivers for example).
Thanks for the pointer. Checking the log file, I am using modesetting(4) and the proper acceleration is loading. Must be a budgie setting then. I don't have a problem setting opacity on XFCE for the bottom panel, but finding a comparable setting in budgie is proving challenging.

EDIT: I just figured it out. The basic Style section for the Desktop Settings has a "Built-in theme" button. When I turned that on, transparency was enabled. The description is :
When enabled, the built-in theme will override the desktop component styling
not very intuitive, but at least I have my answer!

Back