Latest activity

• Jose
    Jose reacted to sko's post in the thread Dovecot: Time moved forwards with Thanks Thanks.
    Update: I don't see this as often as others in this thread: # grep "moved forward" /var/log/maillog* /var/log/maillog:Nov 16 00:23:31 dovecot dovecot[34877]: master: Warning: Time moved forwards by 0.111175 seconds - adjusting timeouts...
  • Jose
    Clearly, you are not the target audience. Neither am I.
  • Jose
    Jose reacted to scottro's post in the thread Lennart Poettering goes to Microsoft with Like Like.
    Well, as Poettering says, it will be more fun, you get a pretty color. Isn't that the most important aspect? A long time ago, I read some post or email or whatever, saying that he knew a lot about C but nothing about system adminstration. On...
  • Jose
    Jose reacted to sko's post in the thread Lennart Poettering goes to Microsoft with Like Like.
    politics. FUD and politics.
  • Jose
    Jose reacted to sko's post in the thread Lennart Poettering goes to Microsoft with Like Like.
    aaaand here's the first exploit: View: https://twitter.com/hackerfantastic/status/1785495587514638559 It's incredible linux folks still blindly accept any code from that clown...
  • Jose
    Jose reacted to cracauer@'s post in the thread Lennart Poettering goes to Microsoft with Like Like.
    Am I the only one who doesn't want a full env reset when doing single commands as root? I want my tools in $PATH, my shell init config, tmux env vars and whatnot. Poettering's replacement is going in the opposite direction of what I want.
  • Jose
    Hi, everyone! The first system I gained access to in the mid-80's was a DEC VAX running Ultrix-32 (which was based on 4.2BSD) and thus began my love of UNIX. Shortly thereafter, I purchased my first PC. An Everex STEP 386 running SCO XENIX. It...
  • Jose
    Jose replied to the thread Dovecot: Time moved forwards.
    I get these, albeit very infrequently. Then again, my mail volume is very low. One thing I noticed that is interesting is that the time diff never reaches 0.5 seconds.
  • Jose
    Exactly this, except that with Rust, you're forced to run the tools every single time you compile. If you use C/C++ you can run the tools in a separate step (Valgrind, etc.)
  • Jose
    Jose reacted to ralphbsz's post in the thread The Case for Rust (in the base system) with Like Like.
    In the question of the boundary between safe code (for example manipulating complex data structures and variable length strings), and unsafe code (for example writing directly to memory at certain addresses, in a device driver), one argument is...
  • B
    balanga replied to the thread Configuring XTerm.
    I've been using the provided Xterm configuration for a few months, but daredn't change it in case I break something.I would however like to change a few things but not sure how... When I first start Xterm and press C-left or C-right the menu...
  • D
    Am I the only one who doesn't want a full env reset when doing single commands as root? I want my tools in $PATH, my shell init config, tmux env vars and whatnot. Poettering's replacement is going in the opposite direction of what I want.
  • D
    Well, as Poettering says, it will be more fun, you get a pretty color. Isn't that the most important aspect? A long time ago, I read some post or email or whatever, saying that he knew a lot about C but nothing about system adminstration. On...
  • F
    FreeBSD News posted the thread January-March 2024 Status Report in Blogs and Newsfeeds.
    The January to March Status Report is now available with 21 entries. Continue reading...
  • _martin
    _martin reacted to sko's post in the thread Lennart Poettering goes to Microsoft with Like Like.
    aaaand here's the first exploit: View: https://twitter.com/hackerfantastic/status/1785495587514638559 It's incredible linux folks still blindly accept any code from that clown...
  • Cath O'Deray
    Many people, including FreeBSD people, agree that a real stateful startup system is the way to go. Why systemd of all pieces won in the Linux world is a different matter.
  • Cath O'Deray
    Thanks to Lennart Poettering and others … I no longer dislike our distro for its limited ability to work with audio – PulseAudio is great!
    • 1714738770764.png
  • cracauer@
    Many people, including FreeBSD people, agree that a real stateful startup system is the way to go. Why systemd of all pieces won in the Linux world is a different matter.
  • SirDice
    SirDice replied to the thread bhyve bhyve HDD passthrough.
    As you're new to FreeBSD, and probably UNIX(-like) systems in general, manual pages are how you get a lot of information. Nobody remembers all the possible switches and their uses from every command. Manual pages are awesome references. If...
  • Crivens
    Crivens reacted to sko's post in the thread Lennart Poettering goes to Microsoft with Thanks Thanks.
  • N
    FreeBSD, The FreeBSD Foundation, and The FreeBSD Forums are not associated with the content of this article. On Monday 6th May, Netcraft will be heading to San Francisco along with thousands of other cyber security professionals for RSA...
  • sidetone
    sidetone reacted to sko's post in the thread Lennart Poettering goes to Microsoft with Like Like.
  • Crivens
    I think he would disagree and assume you do, just you didn't realize it yet. Because, how could it be otherwise?
  • S
  • B
    If FreeBSD is on a GPT disk you may be having this problem 80662...
  • SirDice
    SirDice replied to the thread bhyve bhyve HDD passthrough.
    Looking at the configuration file you seem to be using sysutils/vm-bhyve. No, you're editing a template that's used when you create a new VM. Templates allow you to create a basic configuration you can use when creating new VMs. You can, for...
  • SirDice
    SirDice replied to the thread Gigabyte X670E AORUS Master.
    Windows? Dude, you're definitely on the wrong forum. This is a FreeBSD support forum.
  • SirDice
    I have several -STABLE systems. But for production use I simply use -RELEASE versions. Much easier to update. The only reason I have some -STABLE systems is to keep an eye on developments and be prepared for the changes that will be included in...
  • nbari
    nbari replied to the thread Solved system freezes randomly.
    I replaced the PSU and stable now
  • cracauer@
  • patpro
    patpro reacted to Emrion's post in the thread Solved convert a zvol into a file with Thanks Thanks.
    I would truncate a file with the exact same size than the zvol, then dd into with the zvol as input file. Never did though. That said, there is no risk to try as you don't touch the zvol. You just copy it.
  • patpro
    patpro reacted to shurik's post in the thread Solved convert a zvol into a file with Thanks Thanks.
    You can also use qemu-img from emulators/qemu(@tools flavor): qemu-img convert -p -O raw /dev/zvol/sas/vm/rocky-splunk-d1 /path/to/image/file.img
  • patpro
    hooo this one looks nice. Edit: been there, done that. It works really great. I’ve converted a bunch of zvols, tested corresponding VMs, no errors.
  • patpro
    Performance is interesting but in the end I feel like it’s easier to handle (I can move/backup a disk image file) and it’s more coherent to use only disk image files (or only zvols) instead of a mix.
  • S
    You can also use qemu-img from emulators/qemu(@tools flavor): qemu-img convert -p -O raw /dev/zvol/sas/vm/rocky-splunk-d1 /path/to/image/file.img
  • S
    You can try xev(1) to find keycodes for some Fn-keys and add it manually to ~/.Xmodmap: keycode 140 = XF86_AudioMute keycode 174 = XF86_AudioLowerVolume keycode 176 = XF86_AudioRaiseVolume keycode 144 = XF86_AudioPrev keycode 162 = XF86_AudioPlay...
  • Cath O'Deray
    Cath O'Deray reacted to mro's post in the thread Solved public visibility of profile page with Thanks Thanks.
    I set the "View your details on your profile page:" on https://forums.freebsd.org/account/privacy to "All visitors" but still https://forums.freebsd.org/members/mro.74585/#about isn't visible for non-logged in visitors. What can I do?
  • Cath O'Deray
    Viewing other members' profiles (provided these members allow viewing of their profiles, which is always their own choice) is already limited to Verified Members (10 approved posts and 10 days of membership under their belts), so an anonymous...
  • Cath O'Deray
    It took a bit of digging around, but we had the profile visibility set to 'Never' for anyone who's not a member - purely logical from a privacy POV, and no one ever wanted their profile publicly visible that I can remember. I have set that option...
  • patpro
    I guess I can try something like this. I’ll just have to ensure the «VM coherence» between disk image and zvol if I need to roll back.
  • Cath O'Deray
    Cath O'Deray reacted to Alexander88207's post in the thread reddit vs discord with Like Like.
    It is very rare and mostly from users who don't stay long anyway.
  • Cath O'Deray
    Please note that invisibility of details on a profile page: does not prevent public knowledge of age (if age is allowed as shown in the first screenshot) does not prevent public knowledge of location (location is not a privacy setting). HTH
    • 1714717992606.png
    • 1714718273576.png
  • Alexander88207
    Alexander88207 replied to the thread reddit vs discord.
    It is very rare and mostly from users who don't stay long anyway.
  • I
    Hi, for the start try with ifconfig_wlan0="WPA mode 11g DHCP"
  • patpro
    Hello, I’m in the process to move my production storage from a zraid1 SAS HDD pool (4 drives) to a mirrored SSD pool (2 drives), and it’s a great opportunity to reshape and tweak the ZFS layout and configuration. I’ve read some Klara’s post...
  • Cath O'Deray
    Cath O'Deray reacted to DutchDaemon's post in the thread "Too Off-Topic" with Like Like.
    Can one go "too off-topic"? Yes. We will not allow technical/support questions about any operating system other than FreeBSD anywhere on this forum. That includes the Off-Topic forum. Always ask technical/support questions about other operating...
  • gpw928
    gpw928 replied to the thread backup dns server.
    I wrote bind config files for that once, but no longer have access. Sorry. When you get it running, please consider... My recollection is that failure in your primary DNS server slows things down a lot because of the timeouts that happen when...
  • patpro
    Hello, I’m running few bhyve VMs on a FreeBSD 13-RELEASE host. Those VMs use a mix of disk image files and zvols as storage. For example: disk0_type="virtio-blk" disk0_name="disk0.img" disk1_type="virtio-blk"...
  • Cath O'Deray
    Which version of FreeBSD, exactly, in the jail?
  • Alexander88207
    For DirectX 12 you need VKD3D, winetricks provides the proton version of it.
Back