Is vscode broken ?

And still there's no FreeBSD developer involved in this mess. We're talking about ports, all we can do is build and package the mess we get from upstreams. Point in case, vscode is a Microsoft project. Now go tell them to use something sane for their desktop apps, good luck. 🤷

vscode is a good edior. With lots of plugins for all programming languages.
But there are very few alternatives.
Neovim is basic
The problem of vscode is it's dependency on
huge electron. So it breaks alot.
It seems electron is hard to maintain.

Neovim is basic

Electron is a bad technology...

Electron is a bad technology...

Not entirely.

My default Firefox profile is heavily extended, some types of web app can be slow in this environment.

I could run some types of web app in separate Firefox profiles, with each profile's extensions tailored to the app. I could, I don't.

All things considered, I sometimes find it best to use `electron28` to open a web page.

Most often, I'll prefer a developer-provided app that uses Electron. My KRunner history includes:

/home/grahamperrin/.local/bin/discord &

Neovim is basic
On FreeBSD - yes, but i never had issues on Linux but thats my experience.

P.S. What you have in mind as an alternative to VS Code ?

Very rarely broken, for me, on CURRENT. Partly related discussion in FreeBSD Discord a few days ago.

vscode disappeared again from quarterly packages.

It's present for CURRENT.

For 140amd64-default, fallout is logged:

=>> Killing runaway build after 7200 seconds with no output

For the most recent 140amd64-quarterly, no fallout:
build of editors/vscode | vscode-1.85.1_1 ended at Fri Apr 5 18:43:54 UTC 2024
build time: 01:09:58

I respect the work of the maintainers. But it is unclear to me what is the real problem. Sometimes vscode compiles , a few weeks later it does not , a few weeks later it compiles again. Weird.

But it is unclear to me what is the real problem.
Regarding availability of the package, I explained several times what the problem is ...

Sometimes vscode compiles , a few weeks later it does not , a few weeks later it compiles again.
And regarding building yourself, I have it in my ports list since it was first available and it never failed for me. You still didn't show how it fails for you. Resource requirements for electron are huge (it's kind of a chromium in disguise plus tons of npm stuff), so it's quite likely that's your issue.

And regarding building yourself, I have it in my ports list since it was first available and it never failed for me. You still didn't show how it fails for you. Resource requirements for electron are huge (it's kind of a chromium in disguise plus tons of npm stuff), so it's quite likely that's your issue.
Oh yes, Electron is a mess as im trying to compile just Electron 25 and if i noted correctly - chromium was downloaded.
As currently on 4% for Electron 25 - we will see later what error i get if i get as i had many dependencies to install on the way due to build errors for missing dependencies.
P.s. im using FreeBSD14.0-RELEASE-p6 and Quarterly pkg.

Electron​

For Obsidian, or for Vim Inspired Electron Browser (vieb)?

In the absence of a usable Electron topic, recent Electron discussions are scattered, some more interesting stuff is here:

The topic below is more appropriate. Unfortunately it can not be used without complaint:

Electron​

For Obsidian, or for Vim Inspired Electron Browser (vieb)?

In the absence of a usable Electron topic, recent Electron discussions are scattered, some more interesting stuff is here:

The topic below is more appropriate. Unfortunately it can not be used without complaint:

For VS Code.

Back