Freebsd-handbook vs sndio, vs pulseaudio, vs pipewire.

So if not the FreeBSD Handbook - where else is a good source of information on understanding (for a newbie) how the sound works in FreeBSD? To be honest, I have no idea, and thought OSS is what FreeBSD uses. 🤷‍♂️ I also know Linux had something like 5 different "sound solutions" over the years - always reinventing the wheel, instead of improving what is there. [at least that's what I'm reading on the Internet]

This is regarding FreeBSD as a desktop /laptop workstation, right? pulseaudio came with KDE, which is the first DE I tried, so I figured it out for myself reading manpages... and afaik for Firefox pulse is the main supported audio backend. Maybe there exists a nice tutorial or how-to for audio but I haven't found one and I would have liked to have one too...

quick overview:
Audio on FreeBSD quick guide

So if not the FreeBSD Handbook - where else is a good source of information on understanding (for a newbie) how the sound works in FreeBSD? To be honest, I have no idea, and thought OSS is what FreeBSD uses. 🤷‍♂️ I also know Linux had something like 5 different "sound solutions" over the years - always reinventing the wheel, instead of improving what is there. [at least that's what I'm reading on the Internet]

OSS is in both FreeBSD and Linux. However, OSS in FreeBSD always supports a mixer for multiple applications, whereas Linux does not. That is why Linux always needs a sound demon and FreeBSD does not.

Back