Lennart Poettering goes to Microsoft

Pipewire has the big advantage of not being the brainchild of Poettering, and no fork either. So it has 0 Poettering code in it. Also its main author is ~12 years older, and learned coding on a C64.

Poettering on the other hand won a Pwnie-reward as "lamest vendor response" in 2017 for his refusal to mention CVE numbers in his changelogs/commits. What an honor...

To quote Poettering himself...

Well, that makes no sense. You don't assign CVEs to every single random bugfix we do, do you? So why this one? I understand your currency is CVEs, but this just makes CVEs useless. And hardly anymore useful than a git history...

I mean, I am fine with security bureaucracy if it actually helps anyone, but you just create noise where there shouldn't be any. And that way you just piss off the upstreams whose cooperation you actually should be interested in. Your at least made sure that my own interest in helping your efforts goes to zero...

*on linux. where sound still is a shitshow...
I was going to say something similar: My daily driver is a Mac (or actually a set of it, right now I have a laptop and a desktop, used to be two laptops and a desktop). On all of them, sound works perfectly, and out of the box. My wife and son use Windows laptops, and also have no problems at all with sound.

Why is this so difficult for open-source Unixes?

… sound …

Why is this so difficult for open-source Unixes?

As far as I can tell, the greatest difficulty with UNIX®-like FreeBSD is ending – at least, for applications that use the port of Poettering PulseAudio.

The situation with OSS is more complicated, for me.

A few weeks ago I installed a UNIX-like Linux that was reviewed by someone in January. I didn't think to test audio at the time. Tested today, it works.

I was going to say something similar: My daily driver is a Mac (or actually a set of it, right now I have a laptop and a desktop, used to be two laptops and a desktop). On all of them, sound works perfectly, and out of the box. My wife and son use Windows laptops, and also have no problems at all with sound.
Well Apple as manufacturer has a tight hold about which parts are being built into their Macs, and only picks few variety for their standard components. And since Apple is also creating MacOS tailor made for their slowly changing hardware, its easy to achieve all is working fine out of the box.

Well Apple as manufacturer has a tight hold about which parts are being built into their Macs, and only picks few variety for their standard components. And since Apple is also creating MacOS tailor made for their slowly changing hardware, its easy to achieve all is working fine out of the box.
Yes, but:
A: Windows is able to do the same thing, on a variety of hardware platforms. Matter of fact, on the same hardware platforms where sound seems to be difficult for open source software.
B: The problem with sound doesn't seem to be the device driver interface, which is where the "tight control about which parts" would enter. I think any open source Unixes are able to play a tone on the sound system and make it come out the speakers or headphones. The tough part is the software integration, which requires taking a global view of all programs (applications) that play sound, the human interface for controlling sound, and the complex plumbing in between. What helps Apple and Microsoft here is that they have large teams, which are focused on user experience and "delighting the customer", which is I think Apple's raison d'etre.

Back