According to Freshports as I write this, the only package available is v6.48.1_6, which is outdated and can no longer send messages.

Bug 270565 is the root cause, which has seen movement but still not an actual resolution yet.
thanks for the pointer, I could send and got replies. But the other clients may be a bit dated as well.

Are there non-electron (tui?) solutions?

thanks for the pointer, I could send and got replies. But the other clients may be a bit dated as well.

Are there non-electron (tui?) solutions?
Perhaps it was 6.47 that I had been using; in either case, once your version hits 90 days from release it will likely stop sending messages and display a warning:

>Each version of the Signal app expires after about 90 days and people on that version will need to update to the latest version of Signal.

I cannot find release 6.48.1 on GitHub (weird), but 6.48.0 was released on 2024-02-20, so I expect that in approximately ten days you (and others) will be unhappy.

Reactions: mro
root cause,

The status report for the first quarter referred to the March post about recent investment of more than $100,000 to install a server cluster in Chicago.

This year's budget for infrastructure hardware is $60,000.

I can't guess what percentage of the $100,000 fell under hardware within this year's budget. I should assume that what's required for 270565 will not be completed before FreeBSD 14.1 is released.

Alain De Vos, tOsYZYny, rmomota, and others, wrote about vscode.

To those of you who run 13.3 and will not upgrade until 14.1: be prepared to temporarily lock applications such as these.

In FreeBSD Discord there's discussion about the inappropriateness of what's recommended in the FreeBSD Handbook.

The status report for the first quarter referred to the March post about recent investment of more than $100,000 to install a server cluster in Chicago.

I can't guess what percentage of the $100,000 fell under hardware within this year's budget. I should assume that what's required for 270565 will not be completed before FreeBSD 14.1 is released.

To those of you who run 13.3 and will not upgrade until 14.1: be prepared to temporarily lock applications such as these.

In FreeBSD Discord there's discussion about the inappropriateness of what's recommended in the FreeBSD Handbook.
I'm too stupid to quote part of your message. Some answer for the hw bought with the $100000 can be found here: https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=270565#c27

Perhaps it was 6.47 that I had been using; in either case, once your version hits 90 days from release it will likely stop sending messages and display a warning:

>Each version of the Signal app expires after about 90 days and people on that version will need to update to the latest version of Signal.

I cannot find release 6.48.1 on GitHub (weird), but 6.48.0 was released on 2024-02-20, so I expect that in approximately ten days you (and others) will be unhappy.
If I get it right, every time you compile signal-desktop on FreeBSD you get an extra 90 days:

If I get it right, every time you compile signal-desktop on FreeBSD you get an extra 90 days:
No. The app reports its version to the server. 7.0 uses a new API which allows for usernames instead of phone numbers, and 90 days after the release of 7.0 the old API will be disabled on the server.

So, sure, you can still launch it, but it won't do you any good.

This is a red herring; multiple versions of other software are built for use. There was only seemingly an objection to Electron, which caused a lot of breakage and noise as a result.

that's what you get

Only partly :) I did mention the report number three times (search results pictured below) it might have been assumed that I had read the report …

Attachments

• 1715457401079.png
    1715457401079.png
    82.6 KB · Views: 14
Only partly :) I did mention the report number three times (search results pictured below) it might have been assumed that I had read the report …
I never said you didn't read it, but we're making different points; mine was simply that their claim that they didn't have the spare cycles to build two versions of Electron instead of one was bullshit; even the famous vermaden seems to agree that desktop users have suffered as a result.

Please, what's a red herring?
The discussion of budget constraints.

It boils down to someone deciding we would only get one version of Electron on the builder, and that was that.

Mikael rightly said it's not quite so simple due to API changes between Electron versions not making them cleanly interchangeable, but in the meantime desktop users can go pound sand.

That's unnecessarily rude
That doesn't mean I'm wrong. I'm deeply unhappy about it, and it shows.

and ignorant.
Au contraire; there doesn't seem to be a problem providing packages for multiple versions of Chromium, LLVM, and gcc, but yet we must choose One Electron To Build Them All when that won't even work?

This is not the way to maintain an OS which would like to see use on the desktop.

There is no multiple version of Chromium, well for llvm it build fine in 1h30. For electron it build in 4h.
Having a web browser is more important to have some electron app that could just been a tab in a browser.
If the build is blocked 1 week because of electron app, for sure they have to restrict the number of version to build.

Back