reddit vs discord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't babble. I have machines rented from that shop, l know what I get and how to deal with. "Base IP amount" means the number of IPv4 addresses included by default, and one can usually add more of them when ordering, for about 3$ per address per month.

It seems that "they mean ethernet cards" was one of those quick-shots of Yours, just like "one cannot dynamically rewrite firewall rules", which do usually miss with me. You might consider to instead just ask me friendly how I'm doing things - because usually I know what I am doing, and the fact that people rarely do such things (outside of Russia, of course) doesn't mean they do not work.
Well, if you have rented from that shop before, then yeah, you'd know what you're in for.

But I would not put it past a US-based shop to be either sneaky or disorganized or both when renting cheap used servers on secondary or even tertiary markets.

That's simple: reddit does not have IPv6.

https://reddit.com redirects to https://www.reddit.com, and that gives:

Code:
$ host www.reddit.com
www.reddit.com is an alias for reddit.map.fastly.net.
reddit.map.fastly.net has address 199.232.189.140

OTOH:
Code:
$ host reddit.com
reddit.com has address 151.101.193.140
reddit.com has address 151.101.65.140
reddit.com has address 151.101.1.140
reddit.com has address 151.101.129.140
reddit.com has IPv6 address 2a04:4e42:600::396
reddit.com has IPv6 address 2a04:4e42:200::396
reddit.com has IPv6 address 2a04:4e42::396
reddit.com has IPv6 address 2a04:4e42:400::396
reddit.com mail is handled by 1 aspmx.l.google.com.
reddit.com mail is handled by 5 alt2.aspmx.l.google.com.
reddit.com mail is handled by 10 aspmx2.googlemail.com.
reddit.com mail is handled by 10 aspmx3.googlemail.com.
reddit.com mail is handled by 5 alt1.aspmx.l.google.com.

This is why I did ask earlier about IPv6. Because always when I follow a link, it is an IPv4 address that shows up as blocked - which shouldn't be the case, because my machines are configured to prefer IPv6 (and "show my ip" does usually show both).

Only once I have now seen my IPv6 HE tunnel IP blocked just the same.

1712077932291.png

Reddit has IPv6 no problem. It is very likely, however, that your Internet-facing device (or your VPN provider) does not suppot IPv6. Case in point: Most public wifi hotspots still don't offer IPv6 support, you'd have to tunnel via a service like Hurricane Electric to get to an IPv6-specific site like some package builder machines that the FreeBSD project runs.

Communities​

<https://forums.freebsd.org/profile-posts/3512/> (2021-12-22):

If there could be a tool that could help build the FreeBSD developer community, what would it be? Just curious…

I replied:

Discourse. Maybe the best known example: <https://discourse.mozilla.org/>. Other examples include <https://github.community/>, <https://forum.nomadbsd.org/> …

… IRC, mail lists and this forum.

XenForo here for The FreeBSD Forums.

TrueNAS Community has begun its migration from XenForo, to Discourse:

But I would not put it past a US-based shop to be either sneaky or disorganized or both when renting cheap used servers on secondary or even tertiary markets.
They certainly are all of sneaky, disorganized etc. :)
Once I got promised some machine could install FreeBSD, and there was no FreeBSD anywhere. So I asked support and got told to just copy some image of my liking onto the machine.
But that's exactly what I need. Stuff just needs to run stable, and that it does, for a couple years now. I don't need a nanny, and I'm used to cope with whatver stuff I get. And whereelse would you have real dedicated metal server blade, with 2 TB disk for offsite backup, for 10$/month?

They certainly are all of sneaky, disorganized etc. :)
Once I got promised some machine could install FreeBSD, and there was no FreeBSD anywhere. So I asked support and got told to just copy some image of my liking onto the machine.
But that's exactly what I need. Stuff just needs to run stable, and that it does, for a couple years now. I don't need a nanny, and I'm used to cope with whatver stuff I get. And whereelse would you have real dedicated metal server blade, with 2 TB disk for offsite backup, for 10$/month?
$10/mo??? the price I saw was $55 USD/mo... or did you get a nice offer as an existing customer?

Reddit has IPv6 no problem. It is very likely, however, that your Internet-facing device (or your VPN provider) does not suppot IPv6. Case in point: Most public wifi hotspots still don't offer IPv6 support, you'd have to tunnel via a service like Hurricane Electric to get to an IPv6-specific site like some package builder machines that the FreeBSD project runs.
One of your entirely unsubstantiated quick-shots again.
I have already shown that reddit.com does have IPv6, but https for reddit.com redirects to www.reddit.com, and that does not have IPv6 - or at least it doesn't DNS-advertise addresses for IPv6.

I have written a whole article about how to implement IPv6, I have at least Sage status with HE, and I'm obviousely logged in here at freebsd.com via IPv6, so just don't try to tell me anything about that.

I like Discord but it is trash for reference since it can't be indexed by search engines. Both Discord and IRC are not good for long-term documentation, just instantaneous zeitgeist. Maybe you could search up something useful, but if you get fifty results from people asking the same question, and you have to look at the context for each one to see if it got answered well... actual documentation would be better. Perfect for ML to figure out a FAQ for review, though.

People like these things for answering questions because they're getting a human. Sifting through html by themselves is dissatisfying.

… in 2 years it'll be matrix who knows or may be mailing lists will strike back. …

lists.freebsd.org content not reliably found by Google search​

At <https://discord.com/channels/727023752348434432/1221506826030288966> on 24th March, I wrote:
https://www.google.com/search?q="FreeBSD%3A14%3Aarmv7+not+recently+updated"+site%3Alists.freebsd.org%2Farchives%2Ffreebsd-pkgbase%2F (for example) fails; finds nothing.

Does anyone know, is there a Project-managed Google Search Appliance? Something like that?

Google does, now, find content from 22nd March that it could not find on the 24th (a lag of at least fifty-fix hours).

I'll keep an eye on this; I had numerous problems prior to my report on the 24th.

Postscript

Another failure:

Attachments

• 1712123749547.png
    1712123749547.png
    151.2 KB · Views: 17
with my Hurricane Electric tunnel

In response to a simple attempt to use Google search,

About this page

This network is blocked due to unaddressed abuse complaints about malicious behavior. This page checks to see if it's really a human sending the requests and not a robot coming from this network.

IP address: ⋯:⋯:⋯:⋯::⋯
Time: 2024-04-03T05:35:38Z
URL: https://www.google.com/search?q=%22FreeBSD%3A14%3Aarmv7+not+recently+updated%22+site%3Alists.freebsd.org%2Farchives%2Ffreebsd-pkgbase%2F

Attachments

• 1712122663142.png
    1712122663142.png
    44.4 KB · Views: 20
Google search is not exactly designed to have security/snort-like abilities to capture AND analyze Discord conversations in real time. Indexing the PubMed database - yeah, Google is fantastic for that. But finding what was said on Discord a few days ago - Google is not that kind of tool. Somebody would have to bother to have a recording if it's that important. Discord is like a casual conversation on the street, not Parliamentary proceedings. Some people seem to fail to make sensible distinctions, and then wonder why things don't work as easily as their misguided imagination leads them to believe. 😩

In response to a simple attempt to use Google search,

About this page

This network is blocked due to unaddressed abuse complaints about malicious behavior. This page checks to see if it's really a human sending the requests and not a robot coming from this network.
I remember having seen these from Google also, at times. But currently not.

The future with Discord seems unpleasant ... adds are coming (just like Reddit did in the past), but is it really a surprise?
Why "unpleasant"? This is on popular demand.

People had Usenet, then people had forums. But people left these and went to Facebook/Reddit/Discord because there they can get ads.

I mentioned in another thread that Reddit started charging for dev acccess awhile back... That was meant for mobile apps. Well, considering how network packets are even crafted, it's not too far-fetched of an idea to inspect them more carefully and craft/fine-tune access rules based on that analysis.

Useless LInk.

What's wrong with you? Over, and over, and over, like a stuck record. Did it occur to you that I copied everything from the conversation in Discord, to here in the forum, to please a person who might be interested but unwilling to register?

Are you completely impossible to please?

What's wrong with you? Over, and over, and over, like a stuck record? Did it occur to you that I copied everything from the conversation to here in the forum? Are you completely impossible to please?

FFS.
What Charlie_ says (not in so many words) is following that link doesn't bring up the content you are linking to, the user is always redirected to a login page:

discord.png

Apparently one must be registered and logged in to see the content.

A telephone number is not required:
  • for registration (creation of an account)
  • to join the FreeBSD area.

Screenshots were provided. If Charlie_ was truly interested in Discord, in what's contributed there, he could have contacted Discord for help with gaining access. I begin to believe that he's interested only in repeatedly wasting space with the false impression that a telephone number is required.

If Charlie_ was truly interested in Discord, in what's contributed there
You might be interested in reading this journal article on paywalls:

Of course, it is behind a research journal paywall. Perhaps you aren't interested enough in whats contributed there?
I'm sure you appreciate the irony here? Discord has a paywall; just you pay with your data and adverts rather than money directly.

It is nice that these forums remain clear of that clutter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back